Head lice is more common than most people would like to admit. Most everybody knows someone who has had lice, but despite the common occurrence many myths are still believed to be true.
One such myth is that lice is not a problem during the summer months because kids are not confined to small classroom spaces. Not true! Here are some Summer Facts About Head Lice:
- Pool chlorine will NOT kill head lice.
- Swimming in salt water will NOT kill head lice.
- Head lice can hold their breath underwater and stay grasped onto hair for up to 2 hours!
- Head lice CAN be transmitted in a swimming pool if there is head to head contact.
- Head lice will NOT be eliminated by getting a short hair cut or buzz cut.
- Head lice can NOT jump, fly, or swim.
- Head lice is NOT caused by poor personal hygiene.
- Head lice can NOT crawl along fabric.
- Do not share hair brushes, combs, or hair accessories.
- Do not share towels or bathing caps.
- Be mindful of head to head contact when playing.